Who is Sarina Landcare Catchment Management Association Inc.?
Sarina Landcare Catchment Management Association Inc. (SLCMA) is a community based not-for-profit organisation that works with the community to help protect the natural environment within the Sarina Catchment. SLCMA is made up of a variety of stakeholders including individual land holders, industry, local community groups and junior landcarers.
As an incorporated association, SLCMA is guided by an elected, voluntary management committee. The current management committee includes the following members:
- Chairperson: Lachlan McBride
- Vice-chairperson: Cr Karen May
- Treasurer: Kevin Plumb
- Secretary: Shirley Sidey
- Committee members: Rod McFadzen
SLCMA is supported by the following staff:
- Coordinator: Saskia von Fahland
- Administration Officer: Kristy Thomsett
- Project Officer: Susan Whiteley
- Nursery Officer: Susie Tomlinson
- Reef Assist Revegetation Team
- Casual Revegetation Team
Sarina Landcare Catchment Management Association (SLCMA) encourages and assists the local community in understanding, managing and retaining its natural resources and unique biodiversity. We do this by providing free property visits and land management advice to landholders; undertakeing on-ground rehabilitation projects; and engaging youth and volunteers in educational and practical landcare activities.
SLCMA undertakes a wide range of activities including:
- Providing technical advice to landholders regarding land management issues and planning eg. Peri-urban support program
- Coordinates educational and community awareness raising events eg. field days and workshops
- Coordinates on-ground projects eg. Community rehabilitation projects
- Providing opportunities for community members to become involved in Landcare activities eg. SLCMA Community Volunteer Program
- Operating the SLCMA Community Nursery as a training facility for volunteers and youth as well as providing local native plants for local projects.
With the support of QWaLC and the Qld Govt Sarina Landcare holds appropriate and current insurance coverage with Public Liability to $30m